Re: [Xen-users] communication between dom0 and domu

> On Thursday 01 September 2005 22:11, Arijit Ganguly wrote:
> > All,
> > Is there any way we can set up a communication channel (not a TCP/IP
> > based network) between domain0 and unprivileged domains. This can be
> > useful in a way that we can write automatic configuration mechanisms
> > for our unprivileged VMs.
>
> From what I heard, XenFS will allow that kind of communication, for it will
> be possibe to mmap a file from it in different domains and have shared
> memory between domains that way.
> But thats still far from "running commands" in a target domain, so you'll
> still need some application to do that for you...
> Easiest solution for your problem would be probably a shared directory with
> dom0 putting shellscripts or executables into, and domU polling that
> directory, executing and deleting whatever it finds...
>
> But it'll be some time till XenFS will be available...

Didn't notice the mention earlier :-)

XenFS should be handy for interdomain communications but it'll be better
suited to high-speed / low overhead transfers using shared memory.  I think
that in this case what Arijit wants can be solved most easily by some
solution involving a secure interface the console (as you guys have been
talking about elsewhere in this thread).

Cheers,
Mark