RE: [Xen-users] Re: Xen installation

  • To: irmatov@xxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:39:55 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 07:47:43 +0000

> Thanks to all who replied!
>
> I have successfully compiled my own kernels for use with Xen,
> now I try to add one virtual machine.. I have a couple of
> questions.. First
> one: my machine has about 224 megs of ram, I have reserved
> 128 megs for dom0, and tried to launch domU machine with 96
> megs, but memory allocation failed until I lowered amount of
> memory for virtual machine to 80 megs (actually, I tried with
> 95, 94, 93, 90, then jumped to 80).. Is this normal?

The Xen kernel itself uses some memory, both directly (about half a meg
or so), and dynamically allocated (some megabytes, definitely > 4MB).
You may want to try a binary search between 80 and 90, but my guess is
that you'll end up closer to 80 than 90.

The Dom0 memory is really that, it's memory used for the kernel that is
loaded as Domain0, not counting memory that the Xen kernel itself needs.

> Second question: when domU boots, I see a lot of 'Warning:
> failed update VA mapping'.. But machine boots successfully..
> Is this sign of some problem?

Sorry, don't know that one...

--
Mats