Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen installation

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 09:39:55AM +0200, Petersson, Mats wrote:
> > Thanks to all who replied!
> >
> > I have successfully compiled my own kernels for use with Xen,
> > now I try to add one virtual machine.. I have a couple of
> > questions.. First
> > one: my machine has about 224 megs of ram, I have reserved
> > 128 megs for dom0, and tried to launch domU machine with 96
> > megs, but memory allocation failed until I lowered amount of
> > memory for virtual machine to 80 megs (actually, I tried with
> > 95, 94, 93, 90, then jumped to 80).. Is this normal?
>
> The Xen kernel itself uses some memory, both directly (about half a meg
> or so), and dynamically allocated (some megabytes, definitely > 4MB).
> You may want to try a binary search between 80 and 90, but my guess is
> that you'll end up closer to 80 than 90.
>
> The Dom0 memory is really that, it's memory used for the kernel that is
> loaded as Domain0, not counting memory that the Xen kernel itself needs.

Somewhere in the documentation I found 64 MB as a safe lower limit for
the Dom0 and that's what I use.  SInce my Dom0 isn't doing much besides
providing storage for DomUs and managing them, it copes just fine with
only 64 MB. I did however add 128 MB of swap to it because the Debian
package tools tend to get rather unhappy with less than 50 MB of usable
address space.

Regards,
     Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison