[Xen-users] Xen 2.0.7 network issues and Vncserver in Dom0

Has anyone else had problems keeping vncserver running in Dom0?

My set-up is as follows

Dom0
---------
Centos 4.1 on an Athlon XP 2000+ with 512Mb out of 1GB Ram allocated.
I have to run a custom build of the Xen kernel as I have an onboard VIA ide controller, plus two extra ide controllers (CMD649 and SIL680).

I have disabled /lib/tls and I've got a single static IP address

I run a vnc server instance as one of the users which is started automatically out of /etc/sysconfig/vncservers. I normally SSH into this environment and then tunnel vnc over SSH to access various gui based apps that I want to leave running in the background. On my local network I simply access the vnc instance directly on the network.

This instance is my main home server so runs imap, Apache, samba, nfs, MailScanner, postfix, clamav, spamassassin.

There are two physical Ethernet devices, but only one of them is used at present, and Intel eepro100 card mapped into eth0.

Dom1
---------
Debian Sarge with 128Mb Ram, 256Mb Swap, partitions allocated out of an LVM environment by Dom0. My aim is to move my externally facing web server into this environment. Whilst pro typing I'm running it with a fixed MAC address that gets an IP over DHCP which resides on my internal network.

The networking is set-up with a vanilla config using bridged networking.

# Define network interfaces.

# Number of network interfaces. Default is 1.
nics=1

# Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network interfaces.
vif = [ 'mac=AA:00:00:3D:1A:12, bridge=xen-br0' ]

The Problem
---------------------
Everything starts up fine at boot, although it appears the command "ide=reverse" is ignored by the Dom0 kernel so my onboard drives end up as hdi/j instead of hda/b.

The vncserver start up in Dom0 and the new Dom1 instance gets it IP address and starts it's Apache instance.

I connect over the local network to the vnc environment and start up a couple of gui based applications such as Pan an Azureus. After a couple of minutes the vncserver quits, and I notice the following in /var/log/messages

Sep  9 21:31:42 centos vncserver: vncserver startup succeeded
Sep  9 21:31:42 centos anacron: anacron startup succeeded
Sep  9 21:31:42 centos atd: atd startup succeeded
Sep  9 21:31:44 centos messagebus: messagebus startup succeeded
Sep 9 21:31:44 centos cups-config-daemon: cups-config-daemon startup succeeded
Sep  9 21:31:44 centos haldaemon: haldaemon startup succeeded
Sep  9 21:31:49 centos fstab-sync[3983]: removed all generated mount points
Sep 9 21:31:54 centos fstab-sync[4061]: added mount point /media/zip1 for /dev/hdk4
Sep  9 21:31:56 centos kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Sep  9 21:31:56 centos kernel: xen-br0: port 1(eth0) entering learning state
Sep 9 21:31:56 centos kernel: xen-br0: topology change detected, propagating Sep 9 21:31:56 centos kernel: xen-br0: port 1(eth0) entering forwarding state
Sep  9 21:31:57 centos xend: .
Sep  9 21:31:59 centos xend: .
Sep 9 21:32:00 centos fstab-sync[4310]: added mount point /media/floppy for /dev/fd0
Sep  9 21:32:01 centos xend: .
Sep  9 21:32:02 centos xend: .
Sep  9 21:32:04 centos kernel: ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
Sep  9 21:32:05 centos xend: .
Sep  9 21:32:12 centos last message repeated 4 times
Sep  9 21:32:13 centos rc: Starting xend:  failed
Sep  9 21:33:56 centos kernel: device vif1.0 entered promiscuous mode
Sep 9 21:33:56 centos kernel: xen-br0: port 2(vif1.0) entering learning state Sep 9 21:33:56 centos kernel: xen-br0: topology change detected, propagating Sep 9 21:33:56 centos kernel: xen-br0: port 2(vif1.0) entering forwarding state

Now i'm not running any iptables rules within Dom0 as all traffic on my LAN is already protected by my seperate firewall.

Other applications appear to work ok, and i've not had any network issues with SSH or NFS. I didn't have try to try SMB connections from a windows machine at this stage.

So any ideas how I can fix these odd network problems.

Steve.