From: Steven Hand [mailto:Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:31 PM
To: Cole, Ray
Cc: Steven Hand; Ian Pratt; bryant.johan@xxxxxxxxx;
ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen save error

>If there is any additional probing around you want me to do let me know.
> I'm willing to help get more information.

Thanks - one interesting fact would be what workload (if any) is running
within your guest?

I've now managed to repro it about 3 times (out of probably a thousand
live relocations) so it's definitely rarer for me... but one possible
common cause is that the guest was 'quiet' just prior to the hang (I
have a workload script that alternates beween disk I/O, cpu load,
network load + sleep with random timeouts).

As you had identified, the domain is not entering __do_shutdown()
at all in the 'hang' case which points to some relatively low level
issue at iether ctrl_if or xen level.

Have an instrumented system now and will rerun overnight ; hopefully
some useful data will come out in the morning.

cheers,

S.