Re: [Xen-users] Debian: Move /lib/tls out of the way makes a lot of binaries to break

At 07:22 PM 9/17/2005, you wrote:

At 12:52 PM 9/17/2005, you wrote:

At 05:58 PM 9/13/2005, you wrote:

On 9/14/05, Markus Schuster <ma.schuster@xxxxxx> wrote:
> in order to test a bit around with XEN 2.0.7 I've made a domU out of my
> existing workstation installation. That's a mixture with most packages
> from testing and some hand-selected packages from unstable. If I move
> /lib/tls out of the way (eg. to /lib/tls.disabled) I get the following

I've filed a wishlist bug at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=328183 to include the
Glibc patch [1] some how in Debian proper.

[1] http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSpecificGlibc

I'm a bit rusty with assembly language, but Debian's current glibc-2.3.5-6 seems to have included this patch already, if -DNO_TLS_DIRECT_SEG_REFS is specified with gcc. I'm compiling libc6 on a spare server right now to test it. (It's going REALLY slow as it is a slow server - ATHLON 800.)

Will report back in a day or two.

Oddest thing... the latest Debian libc6-i686 package (2.3.5-6) doesn't generate any TLS warning with Xen. So I don't have to compile my own version after all - the compilation failed anyway :-). Could others confirm this!?

I have been stuck with Mercurial 0.6b because 0.6c (presume 0.7 too) requires libc6 2.3.5. Now I can upgrade! :-)

Ah, strike that. The warning message is in the console, not /var/log/messages where I was looking... back to compiling. :-(