Re: [Xen-users] Unexpected (?) bridging behavior in 2.0.7/FC4

Hi,

master@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've got 2.0.7 running on a machine with 1 physical interface and two
> bridges, like so --
>
> bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
> xen-br0         8000.0040f4ce392f       no              eth1
>                                                         vif5.0
>                                                         vif9.0
> xenbr1          8000.feffffffffff       no              vif5.1
>                                                         vif9.1
>
> Bridge xenbr1 does not have an IP assigned, as I want vif5.1, vif9.1 to be
> on an "untethered" bridge so it is isolated from dom0 --
>
> [root@teegeeack ~]# ifconfig xenbr1
> xenbr1    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:47 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:1860 (1.8 KiB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>
> If I run tcpdump -i xenbr1 on dom0, should I see all traffic on xenbr1
> (vif5.1 and vif9.1)? In this case the domU on vif5.1 has IP 192.168.5.8
> and vif9.1 has IP 192.168.5.9. If I run tcpdump on xenbr1 and ping .8, I
> don't see any packets. If I run tcpdump on xenbr1 and ping .9, I do see
> the packets.

tcpdump should show all traffic whether the bridge has an IP or not.
Can you tcpdump each vif and get a result that way?
Can you tcpdump from inside the domU and get a result?
I assume your network works correctly?
Perhaps check for overlapping subnets?

> So, I suppose the question is -- is this expected? What I want is for the
> bridge to act like a hub, not a switch, but my testing shows it's not
> acting like either.

I don't understand your meaning.

> My intent is to use snort on a bridge without an IP assigned.

I think that should work.

> I've tried running tcpdump on the vifs in dom0 as well. Only the pings to
> 192.168.5.9 are captured. Am I missing something?

Make sure the vif's in dom0 don't have an IP assigned.

tcpdumping on each vif will show traffic to/from the domU it's attached to.

Marcus.