Re: [Xen-users] Re: Debian: Move /lib/tls out of the way makes a lot of binaries to break

At 03:59 AM 9/18/2005, you wrote:

Andy Lee schrieb:
>>> I'm a bit rusty with assembly language, but Debian's current
>>> glibc-2.3.5-6 seems to have included this patch already, if
>>> -DNO_TLS_DIRECT_SEG_REFS is specified with gcc.
> [..]
> back to compiling.  :-(

Would that meen one has to recompile all packages with
-DNO_TLS_DIRECT_SEG_REFS or should it be enough to recompile libc6 with
that parameter?
I really hope you are able to solve that puzzle. I got the sources for
libc6 but it really doesn't look like I expected it to do, so I pushed
that on my ToDo list :)

Ok, success! Here is what I did. First, a total failure - I tried to apt-build libc6 (2.3.5) on Sarge. After numerous tries (errors, upgrade packages, errors, etc), I finally gave up... decided I should compile on Sid, since 2.3.5 is from the Debian testing branch.

So I started over with a Sid install. This time, it compiled successfully. I changed debian/rules to include "-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs" in BUILD_CFLIGS and HOST_CFLAGS, and fudged debian/control to make libc6-i686 dependent on libc6 (>= 2.3.5-6), so it could be installed with other libc6 packages of the same version. Here's the result:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/andylee/libc6-i686_2.3.5-6.xen_i386.deb

With it, my Sid DomU doesn't give the TLS warning.

Earlier I mentioned that I needed this to install Mercurial 0.6c. But during the long compiling time, I compiled hg 0.6c successfully on my libc 2.3.2 environmetn, so I didn't need libc 2.3.5 after all.