Re: [Xen-users] Xen on Itanium?

> I noticed that there is work on a port of Xen to IA64 and with
> indications that it might be close to being ready.

I didn't see a reply here, so thought I'd jump in briefly:

> How usable is the
> IA64 port of Xen at this time?

As I understand, it runs multiple domains with virtual block devs but there
isn't a virtual net dev.  The same kernel will run both on Xen and the bare
machine.  It has performance within a few percent of native operation when
virtualised.  The overhead of a Xen-aware kernel running natively is fairly
insignificant...

> > Is it still in an early stage of
> development, or is it feasible to install and run it?

It's suitable for beta testing but I don't think it's quite production ready:
there are features to sort out (network, SMP host, SMP guests).  If you have
time to try and get it running on your system and maybe give some feedback it
should be possible to get yourself setup.

> How about for
> somebody new to Xen?  Are there resources anywhere that might help with
> this?  Thanks...

There are some readmes on Xen-IA64 in the tree but I don't know how up-to-date
they are.  You might like to try quickly setting up an x86 Xen system first,
so you'll have a good idea of how things work.  Then when you try the IA64
install you'll be able to tell between Itanium problems, config problems and
Xen eccentricities ;-)

Cheers,
Mark