Re: [Xen-users] Supported/normal way of creating domains at start-up?

On Sunday 16 October 2005 19:24, Tom Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Matus Harvan wrote:
> > On 2005-10-16 19:55, Eric wrote:
> > > Hi! I'm a new xen user, and I've searched the docs and list archives,
> > > but I can't seem to find the "official" or recommended way for starting
> > > domUs at machine start-up and shutting them down (safely) at
> > > shutdown. What do people normally do ?
> >
> > put a symlink to the xen domU config files into /etc/xen/auto/
>
> that covers startup, but is there anything in xen to send a signal to init
> in the domUs to request a shutdown?

As Matus Harvan also mentioned, the init script should handle this too.  It
sends a shutdown request to each domain, which should shut itself down
politely and then go away.

Note that "rude" or malicious domains can hold up dom0 arbitrarily long by not
shutting themselves down on request...  You'll want to bear this in mind: you
must a reasonable confidence that the domains won't do this all the time, or
at least that you'll notice and come and kill them.

Cheers,
Mark