Re: AW: AW: [Xen-users] Re: Xen Servers with official IPs

Richter, Sven wrote:
Now i have assigned the offical ip adress to the domainU.... I can ping
the ip from the Domain-0
Good.
And i have assigned the ip to a virtual ip on eth0:1
I presume you did this on the dom0? Why?
But what should i do the next ?
You should be *bridging* between your physical eth0 and the domUs. Consequently, there's no need for the dom0 to know what address the domUs are using at all -- if the bridge is up, packets will flow across the bridge to the dom0's physical ethernet device without any configuration on the dom0 which is in any way specific to the IP in question or to Xen.

In short, I think you're making this much harder than it needs to be. Look at the network-bridge script which comes with Xen to see what steps are generally used to start things up -- and if things don't work, look be sure to look into whether your firewall is obstructing the flow.

Also see http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/4262 (with some beautiful ASCII art by Marcus Brown -- many of his posts do that) and http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking