Re: [Xen-users] Re: VMWare and xen comparison

Ian Pratt wrote:

No, it's not that a big issue. The main obstackle is that the modules on the install media will not load into the custom domU kernel, so you need a kernel with all config options needed by the installer statically compiled in. Also parted isn't very happy with the xvd disks because the ioctls to inform the kernel about partition layout changes don't work on these (yet?),
Really?  I don't think the block driver has to do anything for it to work.

I tried using parted on a file based disk, it reloaded the partition table just fine. Were you exposing a whole disk to the domU?

I'd have thought that would be a trivial patch. Please could someone
take a look.
I looked through the code, the BLKRRPART ioctl is handled by the block driver. Assuming we're setting up the gendisk correctly (and I think we are), it seems like it should just work.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thanks,
Ian