[Xen-users] xen 2.0.6 + kernel 2.6.11 + raid1 = strange behavior

  • To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Dániel Vásárhelyi <asdmin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:22:48 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:19:55 +0000

Hello all.

I'm here because I can't resolve a problem with Xen. Sorry for the
scant information, but I have no clue what was the problem, so I
couldn't make the necessary traces around the problematic field. I'm
using a Debian woody with some testing+unstable part, so the datas:

Hypervisor version: 2.0.6
Kernel patch version: 2.0.7
Kernel version: 2.6.11

Fact1:
I haven't been able to set up a domain 0 because (it seems that) init
stopped working _between_ executing the /etc/init.d/rcS and the 2nd
runlevel script (/etc/init.d/rc 2). Strange, or not? I was able to
boot with "init=/bin/bash", but not with "single" or "2", because both
of them required multi user mode - which seems to having problem.
Fact 2:
When I started the system with init=/bin/bash, I was able to mount
/usr and /var (which are on different raid arrays)  correctly, but
when I inserted a "bash" at the end of /etc/init.d/rcS, I got
"Permission denied" error messages for the same mount. (In
/proc/mdstat, i was able to see that the necessary raid devices was up
and working).
Fact 3:
I successfully booted the same kernel on my home computer, which is a
P4 also, the main difference between the two computers, that the
problematic one is running on a sw RAID1-array.

I'm writing here because I haven't been able to find any solutions by
looking up users an developers list archives...

You can read configuration files (kernel config, initttab without
comments and empty lines at and grub config) at
http://www.offtopic.hu/xenproblem/
If you need other printouts, I'm ready to serve it.

Thank you in advance: Daniel

--
Dániel Vásárhelyi
http://www.nsfw.hu/