[Xen-users] domU device access : kernel problem

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Waeyenbergh, Sven" <Sven.Waeyenbergh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 17:53:00 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:57:41 +0000

Hi all,

I have a little question about a problem i'm experiencing with the new xen
2.0.7:

I installed in on a debian box, dom0 starts with no problem, also the domains i
copied over from my 2.0.6 box start rightaway

BUT:
i needed a custom kernel (i want to play with PCI device acces in domU) so i
grabbed the 2.0.7 source
and compiled the 2.6.11-domU kernel (with the standard config) and tried
booting one of my 2.0.6 systems.
result :
debian:/mnt/temp/xen/xenU/xen-2.0/linux-2.6.11-xenU# xm create  /etc/xen/mythtv
-c
Using config file "/etc/xen/mythtv".
Started domain mythtv, console on port 9618
************ REMOTE CONSOLE: CTRL-] TO QUIT ********

************ REMOTE CONSOLE EXITED *****************

.... eg : nothing at all
this domain tries to boot from hda1 (lvm backed on dom0) and works fine with
the kernel from 2.0.6

I noticed that in the default .config, the "CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS" was
selected, so i tried disabling that
and recompiled. Now the system comes up with no problems, but obviously, i have
no access to my PCI device.

Is there anything else i need to do besides:
1. hiding the pci's from dom0 by specifing the pci = [ x,y,z ] in the config
file and the physdev_dom0_hide option for xen-2.0.gz
2. enabling CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS for the domU kernel
3. including the correct drivers in the domU kernel

Do any of you see a reason why my kernel would not come up if i enable
"CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS" in domU ?

Thanks,
Ban
Disclaimer:
This electronic transmission and any files attached to it are strictly
confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you are not
the intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy or take any
action in reliance of this transmission. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender by return and delete
the transmission.  Although the sender endeavors to maintain a
computer virus free network, the sender does not warrant that this
transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages
resulting from any virus transmitted.
Thank You.