RE: [Xen-users] Warning wrt starting the xen3.0 network-bridge from init scripts on Gentoo

> Gentoo is rather aggressive wrt making sure that dependencies
> are fulfilled.
>
> This means that running /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart from an
> init script which declares that it requires a functioning
> network to work will, if no interfaces other than eth0 is
> configured, cause that init script to be told to shut down
> before the network adapter can be deconfigured!

Hilarious!

> So... if you're going to call network-bridge or xend from an
> init script on Gentoo, and that init script declares that it
> has a dependency on having the network up, make sure you have
> another interface (I use
> dummy0) defined as UP, lest the point in network-bridge where
> it restarts the interface currently being configured result
> in a very confused state.

creating a dummy interface is gross. Is there no other way to bypass
this? it would be good to make sure our scripts worked on gentoo, but
there's a limit to the amount of ugliness that's endurable. We could
have distro specific scripts, but this isn't quite yet justified...

Ian