[Xen-users] Building FreeBSD Diskless domU

  • To: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Gino LV. Ledesma" <gledesma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:42:40 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:43:00 +0000

Hi, all

I've been scouring the archives for building FreeBSD as a domU, and
Geoff Buckingham and Kip Macy's past messages[1] have been very
helpful.

I'm stuck at what I think is the last stretch, so I was hoping if
someone could give me insight.

Steps performed:
1. Install FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE
2. cvsup src-all
3. Built kernel as per instructions of Geoff/Kip
4. Mount NFS share /mnt/nfs/diskless onto FreeBSD host
5. Build a base freebsd root fs following Handbook[2]:
export DESTDIR=/mnt/nfs/diskless
cd /usr/src && make world && make kernel

cd /usr/src/etc && make distribution

6. Created diskless etc/fstab
7. Created diskless etc/rc.conf with additional params:

rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"
rpcbind_enable="YES"

This was to prevent flock errors on the diskless client

On boot, I don't get a console (sigh!), with FreeBSD complaining about
/dev/ttyv0 not existing. I munged around with rc.d/devfs to see what
was getting created, and I have the bare essentials except for any
ttys (console is present).

Is there something I'm missing? Would really appreciate help with
this. I worked-around by logging in using root SSH keys, but logging
on through xen console would be helpful.

I also read that MAKEDEV is no longer used in FreeBSD 5.x, and doing
cpio/rsync/cp of the previous /dev entries to the diskless mount
didn't work (as expected).

Thanks lots!

- gino

[1] Xen-users: Geoff Buckingham / Kip Macy:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-09/msg00187.html
[2] FreeBSD Handbook: Diskless Operation:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-diskless.html