[Xen-users] Re: Xen-users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 13

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steven Anderson <hikenboot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:32:11 -0800 (PST)
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:32:30 +0000

Greetings!

I am about to start working for a University
implementing a virtual infrastructure for TEST and DEV
and later on for Production.

My question is this. For best performance with virtual
machines. What hardware should be chossen?

I was thinking a dual or quad Intel when Vanderpool
extensions are supported. But for the storage I was
thinking of choosing a RAID 10 configuration. We would
be purchasing two identical systems. Possibly a SAN.
We would be supporting guests of
Linux/Window/BSD/Solaris as soon as stable support is
available for each. 2.6 kernels and Xen 3.0 I know
would be necessary for windows guests

. We were thinking either Fedora or Enterprise RedHat
but would be open to possibly SUSE or Debian.

Ideally I am looking for hardware that is VERY well
supported by both VMWare ESX and by XEN 3.0 so we
could make a final choice after we play with it for a
couple of months (one setup with xen and the other
with vmware esx). I dont want finding drivers to
become a serious issue nor stability problems. We were
thinking possibly fiberchannel for performance but
since I have never worked with it, supporting it
worries me!

I am looking for ideas for a best performing and most
stable solution while keeping prices as reasonable as
possible. We would be purchasing hardware and software
support from Xen VMware and the hardware vendors
depending on our ultimately settled solution for our
virtual infrastructure.

Thanks in advance!