[Xen-users] UnionFS in initrd

I've played around with UnionFS a bit.  I like the idea for a COW file
system.

Anyhow, I have an initrd file that I'd like to use to set up the unionfs
root.

Here is the linuxrc file:

== SNIP:linuxrc ==
# unionfs module inserted previously

# these directories already exist in the initrd image
BASE=/mnt/basefs
UNION=/mnt/union
CHANGES=/mnt/userfs

echo "Mount base filesystem.."
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 $BASE
echo "Mount user filesystem.."
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 $CHANGES

echo "Mount root UnionFS.."
mount -t unionfs -o dirs=$CHANGES=rw:$BASE=ro none $UNION

cd $UNION
mkdir -p initrd
pivot_root . initrd
exec chroot . sbin/init 3 < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1
== END ==

So now my issue is:

init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
(After which kernel panic )

If I exec chroot . /bin/bash instead of sbin/init...  I get a shell in
the current unionfs root. (As expected)

Any thoughts on the sbin/init problem?  I'm using a gentoo base file system

-Dennis