[Xen-users] Re: UnionFS in initrd

Dennis wrote:
I've played around with UnionFS a bit.  I like the idea for a COW file
system.

It doesn't work properly right now for a root FS running a completely unmodified distribution; there are some bad interactions with procfs (/proc/<pid>/exe ends up pointing at the particular UnionFS branch rather than at the UnionFS filesystem itself, which confuses a number of distributions' tools for checking daemon status), and the unionfs patch I've been using to override this issue via changing /proc's symlink resolution is a bit crashy (though there are newer proposed patches I haven't been able to test with yet). See my posts on gmane.comp.file-systems.unionfs.general and the surrounding threads.