Re: [Xen-users] Use hard drive as physical mem for xen vm

On Friday 11 November 2005 14:51, Oliver Neumann [New Identity AG] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a machine that should serve 2 XenUs as mysql cluster nodes with
> realy big memory consumption. As mysql cluster will need approx. 4GB memory
> on each XenU, I wondered if I could use hard disc space as memory for the
> XenU that appears as real physical memory within the VM. Swap is no
> alternative as mysql cluster nodes check the physical memory and if that is
> not enough, they will not work.
>
> How can I do that?

Invest a few extra € and put 8Gigs of ram in that server?
Reconfigure the mysql instances to run with just 2GB?

Seriously, mysql wants physical ram there for a reason, if that memory is
swapped, it would be faster for mysql to just read the blocks from its db
files.

/Ernst