Re: [Xen-users] Has my FreeBSD DomU actually crashed?

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:39:12AM -0800, Kip Macy wrote:
> I saw rather poor performance on the network driver - judging from the ping
> behaviour network interrupts only get serviced at the same time as clock
> interrupts. I haven't seen network hangs - but then again I never used it
> diskless.
>
> This is one issue I haven't really looked into.

Based on the above I thought I would try a kernel with option HZ=1000,
and while configuring it I noticed the commented out witness code and
enabled it.

The resulting kernel panics imediatly:

XENCONF
WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
WARNING: DIAGNOSTIC option enabled, expect reduced performance.
Timecounter "ixen" frequency 731071000 Hz quality 0
CPU: Intel Pentium III (731.07-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x683  Stepping = 3

Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
real memory  = 49455104 (47 MB)
avail memory = 44953600 (42 MB)
WARNING: driver "evtchn" used unreserved major device number 140
cpu0 on motherboard
Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
xc0: <Xen Console> on motherboard
WARNING: driver "xc" used unreserved major device number 12
lpanic: blockable sleep lock (sleep mutex) taskqueue @
kern/subr_taskqueue.c:132Uptime: 1s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot,
--> or switch off the system now.
Rebooting...

This is obviously the documented behaviour of the witnes code, but is it a real
problem or just a feature of the xen architecture?

Is it actually relevent as that file is not one of those modifired?