[Xen-users] Live Demo CD boots but then can't find CDROM?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Arp <moin.askthem@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 01:28:11 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:28:21 +0000

Hi All,

I'm totally new to Xen and really only wanted to 'quickly'  emulate
(at home) the setup that my hosting provider is giving me for a
virtual dedicated server, based on Xen with debian running the virtual
server(s) on their machine. So I downloaded the live demo 2.06 (as it
promises debian on Xen) and popped it in an surplus Digital Server
3000 sitting in a corner...

The CD boots without a problem, but after a while it comes back with
some "sorry we're stuck" (or such), based on the fact that it can't
find the CD it just booted from :-?

The server is dual CPU PII/300 with 512MB RAM and some three 9.1GB
SCSI hdd's and a Toshiba MX6201 SCSI CDROM drive all on an integrated
Adaptec AIC-7880. The hdd's are ID0-ID3 and sit in a hot-swap bay on a
UW-cable, and the CDROM has ID5 and is the only device connected to
the standard 50-pin SCSI flatcable. All is terminated properly and
connecting a different CD ROM drive (TEAC 55S) results in the same
problem.

I'm pretty sure it's a (machine specific??) aic7xxx based problem...

I googled and searched the list archive for some two hours or so now
but came up empty - yet I can hardly imagine no one else or no other
machines wouldn't have experienced the same/similar hick up..

So, if this is a known problem, any quick pointers for boot-parameters
or manual commands to work around this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
--
Arp