Re: [Xen-users] Video output/graphics in virtualized OSs

P.E.Ahlquist J wrote:

On Monday 14 November 2005 02:17, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:

if I understand this thread right then setting up an xserver to transfer
video output to an external machine should be the same as without xen?

yep... any of the traditional remote X methods: using ssh X-forwarding or xnest or a good old "X -query [FQDN-domU] ...". Just think of the guest
as a headless X-app server.

Xen delivers an ideal desktop dev cluster (on a shoestring budget).

I've been playing with xf4vnc (via xinetd) as the xserver running on the domU (rather than your workstation). I then connect to the xserver on the domU using a vnc client e.g. tightvnc. This has the advantage of better remote access (less bandwidth required then X over the network) and access from pretty much any operating system. I have a KDE desktop running on a domU that is indistinguishable from my workstation except for the lack of peripherals, e.g. USB flatbed scanner (I need to read up a bit more on SANE and it's network features).

Below are a few notes on my setup.

Simon

Here's my file in /etc/xinetd.d/ ...
(I just connect to a different port to get different resolution desktops.)

service vnc1024
{
        disable = no
        socket_type = stream
        protocol = tcp
        wait = no
        user = nobody
        server = /usr/bin/xf4vnc
server_args = -inetd -once -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16
        port = 5900
}

service vnc1280
{
        disable = no
        socket_type = stream
        protocol = tcp
        wait = no
        user = nobody
        server = /usr/bin/xf4vnc
server_args = -inetd -once -query localhost -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16
        port = 5901
}

To use KDE I had to enable XDMCP in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc ...
[Xdmcp]
Enable=true

One gotcha (xen 2.0.7 stable) that I had was xf4vnc would only connect to kdm when the DomU had an entry in /etc/hosts for itself (not localhost but the hostname). I'm probably just being stupid somewhere or kdm isn't looking up the hostname (from dom0) correctly.