[Xen-users] Xen and Raid: "Unable to find device-mapper major/minor"

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Jan Peters-Anders" <petersja@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:40:59 +0100 (MET)
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:41:08 +0000

Hello list,

I am just at the beginning of installing Xen. After two days of trying I
finally managed to boot the xen0 kernel. Now I am trying to create my first
domain. Since the system is a Raid system, I know there is a problem with my
root entry (I had these problems with the xen0 kernel as well in the
beginning) I receive this error message when trying to create the domain
with "xm create -c xmjan1 vmid=1"  (system is FC4 on Dell 450 WS, 2 CPUs,
SATA Raid, 2GB RAM):

--------------------------8<---------------------------------
Making device-mapper control node
Unable to find device-mapper major/minor
Scanning logical volumes
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
Activating logical volumes
  /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
  Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
  Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
Switching to new root
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: 22
---------------------8<--------------------------------

The config file looks as follows:

---------------------8<--------------------------------
# Kernel image file.
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12.6-xenU"

# Optional ramdisk.
ramdisk = "/boot/xen-3.0.jan.img"

# The domain build function. Default is 'linux'.
#builder='linux'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
memory = 128

# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = "FirstDomain"

# Which CPU to start domain on?
#cpu = -1   # leave to Xen to pick

# Number of Virtual CPUS to use, default is 1
#vcpus =
1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define network interfaces.

# Number of network interfaces. Default is 1.
#nics=1

# Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network interfaces.
# Random MACs are assigned if not given.
#vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:00:11, bridge=xenbr0'
]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and
# what you want them accessible as.
# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE
# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see,
# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda2,/dev/sda2,w'
]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define to which TPM instance the user domain should communicate.
# The vtpm entry is of the form 'instance=INSTANCE,backend=DOM'
# where INSTANCE indicates the instance number of the TPM the VM
# should be talking to and DOM provides the domain where the backend
# is located.
# Note that no two virtual machines should try to connect to the same
# TPM instance. The handling of all TPM instances does require
# some management effort in so far that VM configration files (and thus
# a VM) should be associated with a TPM instance throughout the lifetime
# of the VM / VM configuration file. The instance number must be
# greater or equal to 1.
#vtpm = [ 'instance=1,backend=0' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Set the kernel command line for the new domain.
# You only need to define the IP parameters and hostname if the domain's
# IP config doesn't, e.g. in ifcfg-eth0 or via DHCP.
# You can use 'extra' to set the runlevel and custom environment
# variables used by custom rc scripts (e.g. VMID=, usr= ).

# Set if you want dhcp to allocate the IP address.
dhcp="dhcp"
# Set netmask.
#netmask=
# Set default gateway.
#gateway=
# Set the hostname.
#hostname= "vm%d" % vmid

# Set root device.
root = "/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 ro"

# Root device for nfs.
#root = "/dev/nfs"
# The nfs server.
#nfs_server = '169.254.1.0'
# Root directory on the nfs server.
#nfs_root   = '/full/path/to/root/directory'

# Sets runlevel 4.
extra = "4"

-----------------------------------8<-----------------------

Can anyone point me to a solution, e.g. where to look to determine the
correct root drive/dev in a Raid system? Since this is my first machine with
a Raid system installed, I am a bit stuck here...

Thanks in advance

Jan

--
Life´s too short for reboots.

...and don't forget: There are only 10 kind of people.
Those who understand binary and those who don´t.

.