Re: [Xen-users] Problem with my UMTS card

On Friday 18 November 2005 13:30, Petersson, Mats wrote:
> Is the driver for this card a generic driver supplied with the Linux
> distribution, or do you download the driver separately?
>
> There are some drivers that aren't included in the OS that does things
> in "unconventional ways". Those drivers will not work in a
> Para-virtualized driver (including Xen Dom0). [And drivers that are
> included in the OS may still do things in unconventional ways and
> therefore need "fixing" to work with Xen, if these drivers aren't
> commonly used in a Xen environment - maybe no-one has tried them in Xen
> before...]
>
> Do you see any error messages in dmesg or xm dmesg that may be of some
> help?

I have an UMTS Card, but never checked it under xen.
It just shows as a serial port device, and is controlled by special AT
commands.

Things you might want to check:
- do you have pcmcia-drivers enabled in your dom0 Kernel?
- do you see hotplug messages when you insert the card?
- do you have a serial port driver in your kernel?
- does the serial driver recognise the card?
- since xen allocates a serial port for the console, the UMTS modem might end
up on a different serial device (tts7 instead of tts8), check that, too

/Ernst