Re: [Xen-users] GM Driver under Linux Dom0?

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 09:20:46AM -0600, Tim Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:28:46 +0100
> Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Nadir schrieb:
> >
> > > <think I sent this to the wrong address earlier, sorry if it ends
> > > up a duplicate...>
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > It is my understanding that most linux drivers external to the
> > > kernel distribution should work unmodified under Xen by simply
> > > compiling with ARCH=xen. Has anyone gotten Myrinet GM drivers
> > > working under a linux Dom0? I have at my disposal a small cluster
> > > in which all the nodes have both Myrinet and 10/100 ethernet
> > > interfaces, and I would like to be able to use the IP-over-Myrinet
> > > devices on each as the backends for the DomU vifs.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Nadir Kiyanclar
> >
> > Hi,
> > i'm currently working on this issue, to get a wider support of highspeed
> > node connection. myrinet is on my list. i'll post results here. Currently,
> > i'm waiting for myrinet's ftp login/pass :).
>
> If you haven't seen it, there was a xen-devel thread last year about this, it
> may help you somehow:
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2004-08/msg00359.html
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Tim,

Thanks, and yes I did see that thread.  As my goal is just to use the
IP-over-myrinet driver in Dom0, this seemed like a feasible goal.  At least,
there
as nothing in the discussion you referenced that said it would be impossible...

Anyway, I actually managed to get the GM kernel module and associated tools to
compile under xen-unstable (Dom0 kernel is a xenified 2.6.12.6 linux kernel).
When
I try to load the module, though, it gets this far:

<other gm messages>
GM: MCP for unit 0: L9 4K
GM: LANai rate set to 132 MHz (max = 134 MHz)
GM: Board 0 supports 2072 remote nodes
GM: Board 0 page hash cache has 32768 bins
GM: Board 0 has 1 packet interfaces.
GM: Allocated IRQ48

... and then my computer freezes.  I am of coursenot should what to so at this
point, so if you've tried anything similar and gotten any results (or similar
failures) I'd be happy to hear it.

thanks,

Nadir