[Xen-users] Re: 32 bit versus 64 bit

Nicholas Lee wrote:
> On 11/27/05, Sami Haahtinen <ressu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I'm hoping to start with 32 bit version, and upgrade to 64 bit later on
>>when it is better integrated, by upgrading to 64 bit Dom0 and switching
>>the DomU kernels from 32 bit to 64 bit and dealing with the userland
>>later on.
>
> Switching domU is obviously easy enough.  Switching dom0 and xen.gz
> are both going to be difficult.  I'd recommend against it.

Well, domU is enough for me. I don't want to bring down all virtualhosts
for re-installation...

> Problem is you have to upgrade both the userland and kernel at the
> same time, as xend needs to be 64bit. Its probably possible to:
> Mistakes are likely to happen at many places, and the above is
> specific for Debian. Not sure about other distributions. I decided
> against it myself.

I was thinking more in the line of:
1) backup dom0
2) reinstall dom0
3) clone xen config and fix it to match the new environment

it has risks too, but it should take less time than to fiddle with the
existing installation and try to force it to 64 bit.

My biggest concern was that if i start creating 32 bit domUs, I'm either
stuck with 32 bit environment or have to upgrade everything at once. I
don't really like either of those options. But i think i'll run with 32
bit and upgrade later.

- S