Re: [Xen-users] Building Xen Linux on SuSE 9.3

Yeah - I have both the kernel-source and kernel-xen packages installed.  The kernel builds fine, for the most part, right up until the .tmp_vmlinux1 where it fails with those errors.

Nick Couchman
Systems Integrator
SEAKR Engineering, Inc.
6221 South Racine Circle
Centennial, CO 80111
Main: (303) 790-8499
Fax: (303) 790-8720
Web: http://www.seakr.com

Nick Couchman wrote:
> I've seen the other messages in the list about this, but haven't seen any
> solutions.  Could someone please tell me how in the world I am supposed to fix
> this error?  I'm using the most recent Xen packages for SuSE 9.3 (Xen
> 2.0.7/Kernel 2.6.11.4-21.8).

I am not certain that this is your problem but are you
aware that to build a xen kernel from the SuSE sources you need
_two_ pieces, two source RPM's.

ftp://your.suse.mirror/pub/suse/i386/update/9.3/rpm/src/kernel-source-2.6.11.4-21.9.src.rpm
ftp://your.suse.mirror/pub/suse/i386/update/9.3/rpm/src/kernel-xen-2.6.11.4-21.9.nosrc.rpm

Don't use the sources from the kernel-source-2.6.11.4-21.9.rpm package.
You can use them to build a 'kernel-default' but not a 'kernel-xen'

do a 'rpm -i' for both the RPM's then look at the files
installed under /usr/src/packages . The order is important,
install the .src.rpm file first, then the .nosrc.rpm file.
The .nosrc.rpm overwrites/overlays on top of the first source
tree to give you a source tree suitable for building a Xen
kernel.

You will find a spec file installed under
   /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/kernel-xen.spec

Run rpmbuild using this spec file and this will build you a
xenified kernel binary RPM.

If you want to customise the kernel, you can unpack the sources
(tar files in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES), modify them, repackage
them as tar files, bump the version number in the spec file and
run rpmbuild again.