Re: [Xen-users] Centos + Xen 3.0 + Root on md = bad

larsks.21230602@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> I had the same problem. Fixed it with compiling the RAID modules
>>

>> in (CONFIG_MD_*).
>>

> Taneli,
>

> Thanks for the information.
>

> That gives me two other questions:
>

> (1) This is for the folks at Xensource responsible for the binary distribution
> -- if md support under Xen requires the md drivers to be compiled into the
> kernel, why does the binary distribution from Xensource have them built as
> modules?
>

> (2) I've tried adding mdadm to the initrd, and it complains that
> /dev/md0 and /dev/md1 don't exist.  In fact, they *do* exist on the initrd
> filesystem *prior* to starting udev; after udev starts I'm not positive
> (didn't
> have much time to fiddle with it this morning).  Even running mdadm with
> --auto=yes
> fails to create the device nodes.  *Should* this work?  Or is it simply not
> possible to use the md drivers built as modules under the Xen kernel?

I've been running Centos 4.x with Xen 2.0.7 and md raid1 based root
partitions for a while now. A couple of tips.

1. Double check that the Xen supplied kernel has all of the other
modules you need. It was missing the modules for the extra PCI IDE cards
I use.

2. Make your own initrd using the supplied mkinitrd command. It should
sort out all of the module and raid issues. Couldn't ever boot with the
Xen supplied initrd files if I had raid partitions.

I'll be interested to hear how you go as I haven't upgraded my Xen 2.0.7
environment yet as for the moment it is quite stable and I don't want
the downtime. Perhaps in the new year.

Steve