Re: [Xen-users] Centos + Xen 3.0 + Root on md = bad

Hi again,

larsks.21230602@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
That gives me two other questions:
(1) This is for the folks at Xensource responsible for the binary distribution
-- if md support under Xen requires the md drivers to be compiled into the
kernel, why does the binary distribution from Xensource have them built as
modules?

I believe they expected them to work - and they should work.
But they don't, for some reason. :-)

(2) I've tried adding mdadm to the initrd, and it complains that
/dev/md0 and /dev/md1 don't exist.  In fact, they *do* exist on the initrd
filesystem *prior* to starting udev; after udev starts I'm not positive (didn't
have much time to fiddle with it this morning).  Even running mdadm with
--auto=yes
fails to create the device nodes.  *Should* this work?  Or is it simply not
possible to use the md drivers built as modules under the Xen kernel?

Yeah, I believe it has something to do with either udev or
the modules themselves. All RAID autorun requires is a simple
ioctl() call to the md driver, but it's returning ENODEV. The
compiling in of modules is a good enough solution for me, so
I haven't looked more into this.

--
  Taneli Leppà        | Crasman Co Ltd
  <taneli@xxxxxxxxxx>  | <http://www.crasman.fi/>