[Xen-users] FIXED: Centos + Xen 3.0 + Root on md = bad

> ioctl() call to the md driver, but it's returning ENODEV. The

> compiling
in of modules is a good enough solution for me, so

> I haven't looked more
into this.

It turns out that a fairly simply change to the 'init' script
on the initrd will take care of this problem.

(1) Add mdadm.static (or
mdadm + libc) to the initrd.

(2) Add lvm.static to the initrd.

(3) Copy
a valid mdadm.conf to the initrd.  I suspect one that explicitly provides
device names will work best.

(4) Create the md device nodes by hand (just
after /sbin/udevstart).  For some reason, the mdadm '--auto=yes' option won't
create these, despite what the documentation indicates, so:

  mknod /dev/md0
b 9 0

  mknod /dev/md1 b 9 1

(5) Manually assemble the md devices:

  mdadm --assemble --scan

(6) Scan and activate the LVM volumes:

  /sbin/lvm.static
vgscan --mknodes --ignorelockingfailure

  /sbin/lvm.static vgchange -a y
--ignorelockingfailure

And voila, the md devices are available, the LVM
devices are available, and everything is happy.

-- Lars