Re: [Xen-users] PXE installation of domU

>From Brian.Lavender@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Wed Dec 14 19:46:17 2005
>
> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 12:22 -0800, Kevin Fox wrote:
> > Is there a way to support the execution of a PXE installation on a newly
> > created domU?
>
> Do you mean to do an installation? I don't think you need the pxe boot.
> You just need to boot the kernel and the ramdisk for the installer? Only
> thing is you will have to use a Xen kernel, and then you will have to go
> into the ramdisk and replace the modules with the modules for the Xen
> kernel.

The intention would be a direct, non-interactive, installation from a PXE
server.  No preinstalled image exists on the allocated drive.  Or maybe
I'm misunderstanding your suggestion ...

I would assume that the hypervisor would need to proxy the PXE
installation for the GuestOS domain?  Are you suggesting that the image
pulled down by the initial first stage of the PXE tftpboot be a
modified Xen kernel?

> Next problem I can think of is when you go to partition the disk. I am
> not sure what would happen there. I wonder if you export a partition if
> the installer will format it?
>
> Then it's going to have to install the Xen kernel into the VM at the
> finish of install.
>
> But it would be cool to have an installer that would install a VM.

Indeed ... can I assume from the reply that this hasn't been looked at
by anyone as yet?

Thanks Brian
Kev