Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0 (release) Debian packages?

Hi Ben,

Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2006 08:19 schrieb Ben:
> Hi Ralph,

> Does your package contain USB drivers for external mass storage devices?

my packages contains everything except kernel-images. If a xenified kernel
supports external usb mass storage devices, then it will work with my debian
packages. the packages contains the hypervisor, the userspace tools (like
xm), the man pages & docu stuff and the libraries. for now you have to
compile your own kernel if you choose my packages (and have not already a
working xen kernel). There is a package called "linux-patch-xen" which
patches a vanilla 2.6.12 kernel to a 2.6.12.6-xen kernel. if you are using
sarge you can compile you kernel with the following command (after patching
and configuring): make-kpkg --revision withusb1 --append_to_version .6-xen
--arch xen kernel_image.

My plan is to make some recent debian xen kernels available, but for the
moment I have not really enough time to get this done. Maybe in 2 or 3 weeks.
I have to prepare some scripts so that the kernel packages can get compiled
automaticly for sarge, etch & sid in each flavour: 32bit, 32bit+pae and
(maybe I cannot promise) a 64bit version. That's why I have to automate this
a bit, which is not as easy because the tool to create debian kernel packages
("make-kpkg") is broken for xen kernel in at least the sid (unstable)
distribution, so maybe I have  to find out why and write an patch for this
debian tool to get this working again before I can provide kernel images...

> I have trouble getting external USB drives working for backup and am
> wondering if I'm missing something or I need to compile my own Xen
> Kernel.

you can check that by looking at your current xen kernel config. Maybe you can
find the config in your /boot directory or in /proc/config.gz. Take a look at
the lines containing "USB". You should know which driver is needed for your
backup drive. if you are not sure you can exime your dmesg log on a linux
installtion where the drives works and search for output of the
driver/module. you can also check "lsmod" for loaded usb modules.

> It seems support for USB External Mass storage devices may not be
> compiled into the binary xen download.  Can anyone comfirm this?

I never checked binaries kernels, I always compiled them myself, so no clue.
sorry ;-P

> Thanks,
> Ben

--Ralph