Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.0 testing ACPI problems / no PCI functionality

FFS .. I do not care about ACPI .. now I ask you the _second time_ to refer to my PCI problem as without PCI nothing works at all.

Patrick

Ian Pratt wrote:

First of all .. as I said ACPI was the reason why my mashine was constantly rebooting as - if ACPI enabled - xen does did not detect the amount of RAM properly and thus is always claiming it wasnt enough. Sencondly, the xen kernel config is not that much different to mine .. my kernel is just more lightweight tho.
ACPI isnt the main problem, could you please also refer to the second problem, which is of much more importance to me?

Can you not just put 'acpi=off' on the *xen* command line (not the linux
one)?

Please try this with the -xen kernel.

Ian

best regards,
Patrick

Ian Pratt wrote:

I just encountered that the xen 3.0 testing (from the mercurial
repository) will not work if I have ACPI compiled into the kernel.
Although the kernel will build properly, I cant boot it, as xen is constantly moaning about the amount of memory reservated
for dom0 and
thus is rebooting again and again (the appropiate settings
are given
and correct).
Any reason not to be using our -xen kernel config? It has
ACPI and sems
to work fine for the almost everyone.

Ian

I confirmed this by NOT compiling ACPI into my kernel at
all .. then
xen boots up fine... BUT then I do not have PCI
functionality at all
(which means lspci is empty and all my PCI devices do not
work, even
not if I try to load the appropiate driver manually). Again the settings (config) are compiled in and correctly set (which simply means I wasnt a jerk and forgot compiling PCI support in tho). I am using sis5513 as mainboard chipset and another
confirmation on my
side, as far as the problerm above's concerned, is that I tried exactly the same kernel config (without the xen config symbols of course) and compiled a vanilla 2.6.12.6 kernel manually ..
it boots up
fine and PCI support is also given, while doing the same with a xen-patched kernel will not work at all and results in pci non-functionality.

Any further confirmation about the two problems I mentioned above would be appreciated.

best regards,
Patrick