Re: [Xen-users] Suggestions for the xen user's manual / wiki

on Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:40:54PM +0100, Michael Heyse (mhk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are two issues wich cost me some time to figure out and maybe it
> made sense if someone put them into the documentation and / or wiki,
> because without these addressed my system ran pretty instable and wasn't
> very usable. This applies to xen-3.0 and kernel 2.6.12.6-xen:
>

> 1) Networking issue
>
> With the default bridged setup, networking was quite flaky, e.g. samba
> access from dom0 to a server in domU was impossible, ssh connections
> froze, and dmesg contained lots of lines like "Received packet needs 8
> bytes more headroom". A short explanation is found in
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-12/msg00226.html
>
> and is apparently due to some bug in the networking code. The suggested
> workaround fixed this problem for me: set the mtu to 1400 for all
> network interfaces in dom0 and domU.
>
> I'm actually suprised that this is not a FAQ.

I've FAQd this:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq#head-5e286e9bb5cf043f6534c917bc231af2af6adce2

> As a total xen noob I don't dare touch the wiki, but if someone more
> experienced could verify that these issues are valid, adding some hints
> to the documentation could help other xen beginners.

Wikis are designed to be self-service, to the extent possible.  Please
_do_ contribute and/or supply fixes or information as you feel
appropriate.

Cheers.

--
Karsten M. Self <karsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>