Re: [Xen-users] How to run Windows on Xen 3.0 with VT

Apologies for the delay in replying...

> Since VT enabled processors are on their way out to the real world, this
> question is VERY, VERY interesting.

Yep.  Eventually it should just be a standard feature on everybody's PC.

> Is there any info the Xen Gurus could share with us (Ian, William,
> Antoni, et al.)?

Xen will build with VT support enabled by default AFAIK.  You setup a
paravirtualised Linux dom0 as usual.  Once you've got dom0 up and Xend
running (just like a normal install) you create a VT-x config file - there's
an example in the distribution (you'll just need to tweak some options).

Because it's full virtualisation, you should be able to configure it to boot
off a CD ROM, then just boot your install CD (or an iso thereof).
Subsequently, you can change the default boot drive to the virtual hard disk,
and you'll be able to run Windows.

There is a more complete walkthrough of configuring VT in the manual (either
online, or in the latest hg sources).

> PLEASE!

HTH

Cheers,
Mark

> I cannot even sleep anymore dreaming of all the possibilities - these
> are interesting times. :-)
>
> Dirk
>
> Art Arica3D schrieb:
> >This thread from December got into the issue of how to locate VT
> >hardware... but never discussed the software side.  I recently posted
> >details about how you can acquire Intel Presler Pentium D 9xx series
> >chips with both 64-bit and VT capability (and only $300 for dual core
> >CPU).
> >
> >Does anyone have tips or experience to share on installing Windows
> >Server 2003 or Windows XP SP2 under Xen 3.0?
> >
> >Is 64-bit Windows supported or only 32-bit?
> >
> >thank you.
> >
> >  Stephen Gutknecht
> >  Full time traveler

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.