[Xen-users] request for explanation of acpi=off

Hi,
As I had issues with some hardware needing the acpi=off xen command line
switch to work properly (at least it seems so) with the xen kernel, at
the same time using acpi=off was discouraged, this doesn't get out of my
head.
I also see that this is a often-repeated issue in the mailing list, but
all I read about it didn't enlighten me, so I come back with my
questions:

- why exactly am I not supposed to use acpi=off?

- what can/will happen when I do so?

- does the discouragement of acpi=off absolutely "forbid" me to use it
in stable production environments, or is it just "not optimal" to do it,
but acceptable if there's no other (easy) way to get some hardware
running with xen and there's not enough money to buy as much hardware
until I have some which does the acpi stuff well with xen?

Thanks in advance
Henning