Re: [Xen-users] from scratch documentation

On Saturday 14 January 2006 22:19, jason wrote:
> I'm coming from using User-mode linux for a couple of years and I had
> become pretty familiar with the whole process of patching the kernel for
> UML, building the guest and host kernels, SKAS issues, etc.  What Im
> looking to do is build xen, download a vanilla kernel and patch it by hand
> for a DOM0 and DOMU kernel, build the tools by hand, etc.  Mostly so I can
> become familiar with how xen really works (Im a linux-from-scratch guy, I
> like to do things the hard way).   I'm starting to guess such a thing
> doesn't exist, in which case no big deal I'll just write one. But if  a
> good starting point exists out there, I would love to use it.

Well, its not quite what you're looking for, but have a look at the gentoo
ebuilds for xen and xen-sources.

They're basically shell scripts, one compiles only the hypervisor, the other
installs only the patched kernel sources.

You should be able to extract the neccessary steps from them.

http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/sys-kernel/xen-sources/xen-sources-2.6.12.6.ebuild
http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/app-emulation/xen/xen-3.0.0-r2.ebuild

/Ernst