Re: [Xen-users] How to run Windows on Xen 3.0 with VT

> > Because it's full virtualisation, you should be able to configure it to
> > boot off a CD ROM, then just boot your install CD (or an iso thereof).
> > Subsequently, you can change the default boot drive to the virtual hard
> > disk, and you'll be able to run Windows.
>
> To what avail?
> Being able to install unmodified non-graphical (server)systems is a fine
> thing; graphical systems like W2K3/XP is another talk.
> No Xen-aware video drivers are available. In a couple of threads, I've
> argued that Nvidia is interested in developing such a driver, but won't
> do it until deemed nessesary. It will only happen with applied pressure.

There are three aspects here:
1) Xen-aware drivers for dom0 (i.e. drivers which understand discontiguous
physical memory).  This wouldn't be such a problem if the driver wasn't
closed-source.  I believe this is what you're referring to.  Graphics cards
work fine in dom0 in VESA mode, many properly accelerated drivers also work
OK.
2) Xen-aware drivers for guests (so that guests can get maximal video
performance).  This is relevant for both paravirtualised and fully
virtualised guests.
3) Emulating a real hardware video card so that fully virtualised guests can
use the display.

> Has the basic framebuffer problem been solved, i.e, can a graphical
> installer even run?

Fully virtualised guests have 3) an emulated video card.  So yes, they
"display" to either an X Window in dom0, or to a VNC server that can export
their screen over the network.  Don't expect huge graphical performance from
this emulation, though.

> My take is, with VRM/VT available, expected sometime april/may, it's all
> possible HW/Xen wise, but the graphical part will have a long way to go.
> Jacob's OpenGL-based graphics-on-domU's work in progress may be the only
> working solution, and may at least enable use of graphical-oriented
> servers and ditto gui administrated apps. Not so sure about things like
> XP performance, but it may permit XP in a integration testing scenario.

There's a load of additional work underway in order to provide higher
performance graphics to both dom0s and domUs.  In addition, we're hoping to
get functional dom0 drivers distributed by NVidia and friends at some stage.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!