Re: [Xen-users] bridges and dummy

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jayesh Salvi <jayeshsalvi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:41:43 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:49:08 +0000

Could anybody explain the meaning of the vif definition in the domU config file? If I specify mac, bridge, ip and vif - what is meant? The mac, ip and vif of dom0 or domU?

The vif you specify in domU config file is the virtual ethernet interface that dom0 creates. So after launching domU, ifconfig in dom0 will show an additional interface named vifx.y, inside domU it will appear as eth0 by default (and not as vif). MAC address that you mention in the vif line in config file, gets assigned to the new virtual interface (ifconfig in domU will show that). I am not sure if you can assign IP in config file or not, haven't tried it myself. Bridge is a optional feature, you can also do domU networking using routing or NAT.

Sorry for mybe trivial questions - but I just don't understand the network concept...

Sorry if the answers are trivial, I am a newbie :)

HTH
Jayesh