Re: [Xen-users] How to run Windows on Xen 3.0 with VT

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Art Arica3D <nikicart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:47:47 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:55:10 +0000

> To what avail?
> Being able to install unmodified non-graphical (server)systems is a fine
> thing; graphical
> systems like W2K3/XP is another talk.
>  No Xen-aware video drivers are available. In a couple of threads, I've
> argued that Nvidia
> is interested in developing such a driver, but won't do it until deemed
> nessesary. It will
>  only happen with applied pressure.
>
> Has the basic framebuffer problem been solved, i.e, can a graphical installer
> even run?

I am just an ordinary end-user who worked hard to be the first to get
the VT chips when they want on sale.  We have the Intel Pentium D 930
in hand (Presler, VT capable dual core 64-bit) CPU and are running Xen
3.0...

We were able to install both Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 Server
SP1.  There is a VNC framebuffer that works... but it is very very
slow.

Once we get the OS installed and networking going... we promptly
switched to using the native Windows remote desktop solution ("Windows
Terminal Service", or "Remote Desktop" I think it is called on XP)....
it ran at comparable speed of a non-virtual system.

So in simple terms: it is not mature, but VT is working.

  Stephen Gutknecht