RE: [Xen-users] Xen on USB Key

  • To: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:40:27 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:49:20 +0000

A flash device will allow writing to the same block (sector) at least
100000 times, AMD/Spansion devices support 1000000 writes to the same
block. A write, in this case, is defined as a complete cycle of erase
(make it all ones) and program to zeros.

If you do a write every second (to the same place), one million seconds
is about 11 days (277 hours), but it's very unlikely that a clever Flash
File-system would allow you to write to the same area over and over
again, as it's normally remapping sectors when they are written, rather
than doing a erase/write cycle, so it should last a lot longer than
that. [Caching in the OS will also help if you're writing to the same
place].

--
Mats