Re: [Xen-users] Xen on USB Key

Hey Jayesh,

that's a very interesting idea.
IBM is doing someting similar with VMWare, called Soulpads:
http://www.research.ibm.com/WearableComputing/SoulPad/soulpad.html

Maybe one could consider to use the Xen 3.0 Demo CD for booting and omitting
the problem of having an installed and running Xen on every machine one wants
to use.

Regarding the automatic network configuration when resuming a domU, maybe
"expect" is a good way to write a script that calls xm console id, sets up
the network within domU and finally disconnects from the console.

Regards,

Michael

On Monday 23 January 2006 06:39, Jayesh Salvi wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Here is the idea. I am running a domU out of a partition on a USB drive. I
> use the other partition to store the domU state. Then I carry this USB key
> to my office and restore the VM at the point where I left it. Thus I am
> trying to use xen's virtualization to carry my desktop on a USB key.
>
> I have put up a web page explaining the details and a script to prepare the
> USB key. Please have a look at it and give your feedback.
>
> http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~salvi/xenonkey/index.html
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Jayesh

Michael Mey
Thinking Objects Software GmbH    |   mailto: michael.mey@xxxxxx
Lilienthalstrasse 2/1                         |   phone: +49 711 88770-147
70825 Stuttgart-Korntal, Germany  |   fax: +49 711 88770-449