Re: [Xen-users] Xen on USB Key

  • To: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxxx>
  • From: Jayesh Salvi <jayeshsalvi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:21:34 -0600
  • Cc: Abhishek Chandra <chandra@xxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kyle Mestery <kyle_mestery@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:30:10 +0000

It is possible to eliminate frequent writes to the USB drive. I think the 'live' distributions that run off the CD must be doing that, as CD is readonly.For a simple starter I will see if I can use something like ramfs to achieve this.

Thanks for the suggestions on this line.
Jayesh

On 1/23/06, Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxxx > wrote:
On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 12:17 +0000, William Man wrote:
> I had initial thoughts along the same line.  I have built the kernel to run
> off a key, but not tried it yet.
> But ALL logging need to be moved to tmp, all lock files need to be moved to
> tmp, etc...

I heard of people building usb-bootable version of some
(live)distributions, and that they had to deal with similar issues.
Maybe it's worth looking at them how they solve this issue.
Sorry for not having a link at hand, I just remember something like
that.

> As the general lifetime of a key is like 10yrs, if you only write on it
> once/twice a day.  But if you use it daily then..... it won't last long.

What is "not long"?
If it's only a month, that's probably enough! That's a cool tool, if you
use it daily, spending 20Dollars/Euros each month for a new USB stick is
not exactly a lot compared the usefullness of that tool.

The same technology could probably applied to 2.5" usb harddisk, making
it slightly bigger, but still possible to have your complete desktop in
a shirt's pocket.

Henning

Jayesh