Re: [Xen-users] 3ware 9550SX - Xen-3.0.0

On Friday 27 January 2006 19:19, Ferenc Sipos wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm about to set up Xen on a dual Opteron server backed with SATA
> storage which is driven by a 3ware 9550SX controller.
>
> The problem is that as linux-2.6.12.6 has no support for this type of
> card by default, so I need to download & compile the driver the vendor
> provides. I did so (for the kernel 2.6.12.6-xen0) and generated an
> initrd image which gets loaded properly at bootime, but whenever the
> 3w-9xxx.ko module is loaded it all I get in addition to a bunch of dump
> is 'Aiee, killing interrupt handler...' and my boot process gets stuck.
>
> Any ideas how I can compile a third party driver to support my ARCH=xen
> kernel and the Hypervisor 'underneath' it? Is it feasible at all?
>
> Thanks for any hints and suggestions.
>
> Frank

Your kernel drivers all need to be compiled with the same ARCH setting, So,
try to compile your 3ware driver with 'make ARCH=xen' as well.

(inserting an "ARCH=xen" line at top of your kernel toplevel Makefile usually
forces that ARCH setting onto external module Makefiles automagically, so
there's less chance of accidently forgetting it)

but if your driver contains some precompiled object code with no source
available, you're probably out of luck...

Still I wonder why the kernel loads a module compiled for a different
architecture at all... Doesn't it have any checks there, could I have it load
and crash on e.g. a linux-ppc module on intel, given the symbols match?
/Ernst