Re: [Xen-users] Getting started with Xen

Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
In order to do this, I have ordered a dell poweredge 1850 bi-xeon, 4 gb ecc ram, and raid 1 SCSI disks. It also has dual power supplies and dual port network cards. The idea is to have redundancy wherever possible in order to lower the risk of server downtime.

Sounds smart.

I would like to know if there is a "getting started" howto somewhere I could play with on a test server before my production server comes in. Also I would like to know if there are known issues with the hardware I have ordered.

I plan to use debian sarge for the host and all the virtual servers, does it sound like a reasonable choice for Xen?
Yes it is. I would recommend the Sarge packages at

deb http://packages.debianbase.de/sarge/i386/xen3 ./

Is it possible to "migrate" a virtual machine to a completely different PC (with different hardware specs)? That would be a very useful feature to have for upgradability.

Yes. Because Xen completely hides the hardware you can move one or several server to another physical server. You just turn the server off and use your favorite tool (rsync, dump/restore or dd) to copy the files within the virtual server or the whole filesystem(s). If you go nuts and by a SAN for your servers you can even do this process without halting the servers.

Per.