Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI

Hi,

Am Montag, 30. Januar 2006 10:13 schrieb Andy Repton:
> > And Xen itself handles the migration.. access to block device on host1 is
> > stopped when the access is started on host2 (after the migration).
> Are you saying that the change from dom0 handling the block device to
> the second dom0 handling the block device is completely transparent?

well, as the answers on this list shows it seems to be the case. I also wasn't
aware of this.

> E.g. I have a dom0 on one machine, A, importing a SAN block device and
> exporting it as /dev/sda to a domU, and an identical machine, B, with
> the dom0 importing the same block device. If I migrate the domU from
> A to B, will the migration be seamless in the same way it would be if
> the domU was using iscsi to access the SAN?

It seems so.

> If this is the case then why would anyone want the overhead of running
> iscsi in the domU?

Well, i am now at the point to query the iscsi thing. It seems that iscsi has
no advantages over other network block devices. Rather it is more tricky to
set up.

> BTW, this is an interesting discussion for me as I now have my dom0
> setup to export evms drives as iscsi root to my domUs, before I go any
> further down this avenue, I am interested in investigating the
> alternative setups that allow easy migration.

Uh, i think we could make a new thread: "Possible block devices for domU". I
now have a lot of new input. And my first opinion is fading.

--
greetings

eMHa