[Xen-users] Problem with network in a domain running debian

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Angel L. Mateo" <amateo@xxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:19:11 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:32:32 +0000

Hello,

        I am making my first tests with xen. I have now a working dom0 running
with debian. I have also a working domU with debian too. For network
connectivity of domU I am trying to configure it with a bridge (both
networks of dom0 and domU are in the same network, at least by now).

        My problem is that when I boot up the domU debian I get an error when
trying to bring up its ethernet interface. The error message is:

dhcp1:/var/log# /etc/init.d/networking start
* /etc/network/options is deprecated.
Setting up IP spoofing protection...done (rp_filter).
Configuring network interfaces...ifup: failed to open
statefile /etc/network/run/ifstate: No such file or directory
failed.

        If I check the /etc/network/run I can see that it is a symbolic link
to /dev/shm/network:

dhcp1:/var/log# ls -l /etc/network/run
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16 Feb 20 13:48 /etc/network/run
-> /dev/shm/network

        and /dev/shm/network doesn't exist.

        I my dom0 debian (and in all my others debian servers) I see that this
is a directory, not a soft link:

felis:/etc/xen# ls -l /etc/network/run/
total 4
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 16 2006-02-20 13:49 ifstate

        So, when I boot up the domU the network isn't bringed up. But, If I
enter to its console, I can configure the network with ifconfig commands
and it works perfectly. So the problem is only booting it.

        Could you give me any help?

        Thanks in advance.

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez