Re: [Xen-users] Root fs on LVM on software RAID1?

Hello Ernst and Marcin,

thank-you both for your tips.

On 21 Feb 2006, at 17:57, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
Unfortunately sarge's mkinitrd requires devfs for MD+LVM support, and
the kernels supported by xen do not have devfs any more.  I work that
around by sticking the attached script to /etc/mkinitrd/scripts/ before
running mkinitrd.

I tried running mkinitrd both before and after placing this script in /etc/mkinitrd/scripts:

        #!/bin/bash

        # make a lvm LV node here
perl -pi -e 's,^vgchange,mount_tmpfs /devfs\nmkdir /devfs/mapper \nmknod /dev/mapper/group1-dom0slash b 253 0\nvgchange,' $INITRDDIR/ script

# prevent umounting the tmp dir with the node (would happen before mounting, ruining the above mknod)
        perl -pi -e 's,^,#, if /devfs/' $INITRDDIR/sbin/init

Each time I got the same results:

        dom0a:~# mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-xen-2.6.12.6-xen0 2.6.12.6-xen0
        File descriptor 3 left open
        File descriptor 4 left open
        File descriptor 5 left open
        File descriptor 6 left open
        File descriptor 7 left open
            Finding all volume groups
          Incorrect metadata area header checksum
            Finding volume group "group1"
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: /dev/mapper/group1-dom0slash: Kernel does not support LVM

I think the error message is pretty clear, i.e. the kernel supplied with Xen 3.0.1 does not support LVM.

I guess I have two options, either stop using LVM or build my own kernel?

Cheers,

Mark.