Re: [Xen-users] basic understanding of xm migrate

  • To: "Mathias Diehl" <md@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Kyle Mestery" <kmestery@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jayesh Salvi" <jayeshsalvi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:21:22 -0600
  • Cc: Xen-Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:22:11 +0000

On 3/2/06, Mathias Diehl <md@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi List,

now, that I got some basic understanding how to setup a propper xen
networking I would like to get closer to the "xm migrate" feature.

Refering to the Wiki (connection refused error from twisted referring to
port 111) it seem not possible at all (at least for me and for the moment)
as I use debian sarge with xen2.0.7 .

However, some questions to get closer to the matter:

Does this issue refere to xen3 or also to xen2.0.7?

What would be a propper aproach to store the virtual domains? Actually I use
LVM for my domU's and their swap. No I don't really understand yet what's
happening when migrating a domain. As the lvm can't be moved (I guess) is
migration with lvm possible at all? On the other hand, if I use file-baked
domU's, will the entiere fiile be transfered? Seem's quite unlikely when
thinking about domU's with som G of size... So, better to use NFS and store
the images somewhere centralised?

One thing to note is the device node from which the boot media was used on source machine should be present on the target machine. Hence NFS mounts are not the solution. As mentioned in other reply, iSCSI would be one of the solutions. SAN storage would be another but expensive alternative. We used AOE (ATA over ethernet) solution. These are the storage device sharing solutions for network migration. In other form of migration - manual migration - one can use removable media as well, provided it shows up as the same device node on both source and target machines.

HTH
Jayesh

Hmmm...

Any ideas how to handle that issue? I'm pretty sure there are people around
handling masses of virtual servers and moving them around.

Jayesh